Make-up 101 for Pale Redheads

I don't usually let myself be irked by people on the internet, but someone really irritated me this morning by claiming that I dyed my hair and how it 'wasn't nice to deceive people'. Let it be settled for once and for all that I do not dye my hair, but my hair does appear colourized in some pictures because I edit the colours of the photo - but just look at my natural brows and lashes for the truth. So, here is a photo of me when I was seven or so, with my long flaming locks. After getting bullied for so many years about my hair colour, it's infuriating to be told it isn't real!



On that note, I thought it would be a nice idea to post my favourite make-up items for incredibly fair skinned redheads, as I get a lot of questions asking about that specific colouring. I stayed within the boundaries of skin tone, as branching out into lip colours and eyeshadow is more down to ones own preference, or eye colour, or comfort zone. Not pictured is sunscreen with a SPF 50 and talcum powder - it looks great smoothed on body skin!
(I use a lot of other items, but a lot of them are limited edition, so for the sake of the point of this I only picked items that could be duplicated or are permanent.)

Blushes / Contour ;
  • Strada - this is the best contour colour I have found for pale skin. Unfortunately this has been discontinued, but an exact duplicate is Omega E/S - just use it with a lighter hand!
  • Peachykeen - an fantastic peach! I find that true peaches on my skin look like a bad orange bronzer. This has a hint of pink in it though so that's cancels it out.
  • Pink Swoon - the perfect pink for the pop of colour on your cheeks.
  • Well Dressed - my favourite blush, an incredibly pale dusty pink - it's perfect!

Highlight / 'Glow' ;
  • Crystal Avalance E/S - I use this all the time, whether it be on my browbone or cheekbone. It's a no-tone white shimmer.
  • Luna Cream Colour Base - I love this product for the 'glow' look (that darker skins are able to easily achieve due to the masses of products marketed for it!) I use it with a small duo-fibre brush or a flat foundation brush and use it on the planes of my face where light would fall.
  • Illamasqua Illuminator Odyssey - the most epic shiny highlighter I have ever found - if you love high shine, this is a must-have!
  • Vanilla Pigment - a gold toned white for a pretty sheen and highlight.

Shadows / Brow ;
  • Fling Brow Pencil - this is great for sharpening up your brows quickly, or just colouring them in.
  • Saddle E/S - I love this colour for filling in my brows, it's a kind of brown-ginger.
  • Brown Script E/S - this is a colour for deeper auburn haired peoples brows - Saddle would be too light, but when toned with this red-brown it looks fantastic.
  • Handwritten E/S - I use this for brows, and it's also really flattering as a shadow - get a small brush and press it into the lashline.
  • Garb Blush - this is limited edition from the recent Prep a Papier collection, and it's a perfect brow colour - just pale and red-toned enough!
  • Bare Study Paint Pot - I love paint pots for base under shadow, and this colour is really flattering. For slightly darker skin tones I would think it could be used as a highlight, too.

Skin ;
  • Illamasqua Concealer in 100 - creamy and buildable, but dries to a smooth finish with no slippage.
  • Illamasqua Powder Foundation in 105 - I use this when I don't have enough time to put liquid foundation on - you can build it up, it's also great used as a natural, non-shimmer highlight.
  • Blot Powder in Light - I nearly always use this, it's perfect - it tones down the pure white quality of foundation, but only just - it doesn't make it too dark.
  • Face & Body Foundation in White - I adore this foundation, it's so nice and sheer, and versatile.
  • Illamasqua Rich Liquid Foundation in 105 - liquid skin in a bottle! For troublesome skin days, this is perfect.

48 comments

  1. Cute pictures! & love your MU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cool!
    En your are very Cute!!!
    I follow you now, i know you from Lookbook, and i just adore your outfits!
    www.handlemyinspiration.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling, no easy being a redhead but so much fun :)
    nice tips

    xx
    www.thefashioncloud.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. U r Irish, its very likely to be readhead when U r Irish,people who think U r dyed r morons-so dont get pisst;) and honestly it doesnt matter if hair is natural or dyed, as long as they suit U. love Ur blog and style, U r really rockin' x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a GORGEOUS real redhead!
    I have dyed my hair red for years now, and I would love to have it naturally red. it's so pretty! Don't let ignorant people get you down.
    And by the way, your blog is fantastic, as well as your makeup skills!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That picture is adorable!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is horrible someone had the nerve to tell you that your hair isn't real..you told them!!!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say thank you for the fab post on makeup for redheads? It is so helpful.

    As for annoying comments re: hair being dyed, I've gotten those as well, and it's annoying, but the "I'm jealous of your red hair" comments make up for it I find.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips - you really should work for MAC or Sephora. My hair is more auburn but I do have the general colouring of a redhead (my mom is one and my dad is Scottish) and I find that a lot of shades which look nice in the box end up making me look jaundiced. Speaking of which, if you could suggest a colour group for red lipstick that won't make my skin and teeth horribly yellow, it would be greatly appreciated.

    I don't understand why someone would comment on your hair like that; as if your skin and eyebrows didn't give it away! Regardless, what does it even matter to internet strangers whether your hair is natural or not? Yeesh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yaaaay so amazing to find another pale redhead on here! I use pretty much the same stuff as you which is cool, but the only foundation I have ever found to suit my skin is very hard to get now. I've never checked out Illamasqua though, might have to now :).

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. How incredibly rude for someone to tell you that. Ugh.

    I'm not remotely redhead, but I can tell that this is going to help quite a few people. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The people who picked on you were clearly jealous! just look at how gorgeous you are! great tips aswell! will try despite being brunette :P

    http://illustratemypillowcase.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do people make fun of red heads? I've never understood it. It is the most vibrant pretty hair. I can only dream of having hair like that:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. how rude of that person! i'm not redhead, but these makeup ideas are so tempting :)

    http://magdaleneloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks for this! i'm a pale redhead but my skin has more of a yellow tonality (rather than milky and prone to freckling) and pink is always such a disaster for me...i should try some of these pink blushes though, maybe i'm just using the wrong colours.

    i'm surprised you didn't mention anything more eggplant/dark purple in tone though for eyes -- i'm addicted to dark purple eye makeup, the contrast works so nicely. there's a shimmery purple-brown mac shadow called 'trax' that looks great layered over the handwritten, pretty much my daily routine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to be a red head! I've always found it to be such an exotic colour :)

    Ps. Much admiration all the way from India :)

    http://republicofchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's incredibly inpolite! I don't even get that how can it matter so much if your hair is naturally red or not! You're beautiful and that's it. After all it looks so natural. I love your make-up tips, even that I'm not a redhead. Keep it going <3

    http://hoursafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pfft whoever said that was just jealous anyway and I also guess you usually would not care, because you know what you do not need to :-) You are incredibly beautiful and well-spoken, so do not let some bugger get you down!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was reading your user profile section and I feel that if I met you in real life we would be great friends!! Haha, I promise that I mean that in the least creepy way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous23/5/10 19:34

    Thankyouthankyouthankyou for this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Some interesting tips for makeup as I have the red head skintone but not the hair colour. Cheers!

    As for people thinking your colour is out of a bottle? Eh? Your colour couldn't look any more natural if it tried!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your hair (almost envy). Mine is red, but not so red.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous24/5/10 05:23

    I know how you feel...being called "pippi longstocking" all through elementary school...then being accused of being a fake redhead in hishschool can really make you angry...they're just jealous. Don't let them get to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous24/5/10 10:33

    if you say you edit colours in picture it looks like if you dyed your hair, so dont blame anyone to think so ;) its also a little cheating bc you do change colour anyway. You also use extensions so its not 100% your hair to be honest. and if u edit ur pictures this can be edited also... but i believe you ^^ Im a natural redhead also and i know hair colour can fade a little when you grow up, and its not so flamery as in childhood, and its nothing wrong to dye them other shade of red, and i do sometimes ;)even though im natural

    ReplyDelete
  25. People are so rude.

    Greetings from a fellow redhead in Norway.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your hair!!!

    Have a nice day!
    ♥ Irene 's Closet ♥
    http://ireneccloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm a finnish blonde, but as pale as can be. :)
    Thanks for this post, I'll grab some of those products when I visit NY, it blows that none of them is available in Finland, or aren't delivered here. Odd, considering here's really a lot of pale people...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous24/5/10 15:02

    I just adore you'r hair color, i'd love if my hair would be so beautifull. Btw are you from Finland or something, your name sound like finnish name....

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG, i never tought that it was your real color, you are so lucky!. It's gorgeous, and u look so lovely in that pic , and the make up y so lovely like a candy!. xoxo from MEXICO (:

    ReplyDelete
  30. I don't think I'm half as pale as you, but I do think that Bobbi Brown's Pale Pink blush could be a good addition to your collection (:
    btw, I love your hair!

    Fernanda Lucila

    ReplyDelete
  31. really insightful x

    www.pinstripeprince.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. love your style!
    its simply amazing

    come follow my blog:
    http://thefashionreflections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. My sister has hair like yours, which is strange because we're half hispanic. But it's beautiful, and shame you were bullied as a child. I guess red heads aren't favorable in Europe, but State wise, they're adored.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your blog!


    www.papresumirnohayquesufrir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous26/5/10 22:25

    I PERSONALLY LOVE PALE AND DEFINETELY RED HAIR! SO LADY_GIRL;U R´ NOTHING THE ONE AND ONLYBEST;i love you,although i don´t know you :-(
    big hugsand greets cheers!
    ILU
    _rnl

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your hair is gorgeous! Great idea for a post.

    xx FujiFiles

    ReplyDelete
  37. when you do a new outfit????

    ReplyDelete
  38. Do you really know how gorgeous and beautiful you are ? Just look at that picture of you as a little girl.. you were stunning even then, perfect face, hair and skin. I envy you really much and you should be proud of your naturally red hair, those morons who bullies you should just piss off, they probably just incredible jealous of you. And your'e irish as well.. its natural to have really red hair if your'e irish, even I know that, haha.

    At the moment I'm trying to acceive naturally ginger red hair but I just dyed it myself a couple of dats ago after I'd been to the hairdresser to do it.. the reason why I did that is that I wasn't happy with the colour the hairdresser gave me, it was too blood-red but I'm going to a more professional hairdresser very shortly, so hopefully it will get better then.

    I love you, your blog, and your style, suits you so good (:

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG you are so cute and pretty as a little girl! And the headband thing you were wearing- how pretty! :) And you're really awesome at applying makeup. I love all your makeup looks. :) A gorgeous outfit wouldn't be complete without gorgeous makeup to complement it, really! :)

    All the way from Singapore,
    Shu Qi
    http://chroniclesofmissnow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for this, I have similar colouring to yours but I have lots of freckles. I find wearing too much eyeliner makes me look like a drag queen.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous1/6/10 01:51

    PLEASE MAKE A YOUTUB CHANNEL AND DO TUTORIALS!!!!
    MY GOD, THAT WOULD BE SOOOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous3/6/10 07:01

    I agree! I would love a youtube channel! :D

    ReplyDelete
  43. So sad that you were bullied because of your haircolour, I think that red is the most beautiful colour in hair! : < You seem to be a very nice person and you very pretty. :----)

    Greetings from Finland!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for this post, I'm so glad I found your blog! Check out my blog:

    redheadmakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Our very silly that the person who told you that, this may not be aware that the Irish and Scots have the highest rate of redheads ... unfortunate, it is clear you haired and pure ignorance!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  46. Found your blog while looking for redhead makeup tips... I think your looks are stunning! I also know the feeling of "you must dye your hair"- mine is the same red as yours but my eyebrows are almost black with gold tips, same with lashes, so a lot of people assume I dye it. I had one person I knew for five years ask me how much I spend on hair dye... I just tell them "it's in the genes."

    ReplyDelete